Friday, October 12, 2012

Me....a Travel Agent? Yes, Please!

Anyone that knows me, knows that I absolutely LOVE to travel.  Everything about traveling interests me, from researching hotel deals, creating an itinerary, finding tours or sites to visit, taking pictures, etc.  Ideally I'd love to get paid to just travel, but alas, I have not found someone to pay me to do that yet so here I am (although if there is someone out there with a job like that, please let me know!).

I've always thought being a travel agent would be a fun job.  Getting paid to plan vacations for people sounds like a great way to make a living (although I'd probably be jealous of the cool vacation they would get to go on).  In today's age of the internet though, travel agencies are becoming more rare it seems, since most people would just book their own rooms online on one of the various hotel sites, or directly with a cruise line for example.  Travel agencies do offer good package deals or can sometimes throw in some extras that you can't get on your own, so it is definitely still a good option, especially for those who do not have time (or interest) in planning their own vacations.

Recently I decided to put feelers out there to see if there were any travel agency jobs available.  I emailed the one near my house (even though they didn't have any jobs listed), and heard back that they had just hired someone else, but after emailing back and forth about my travel knowledge, she suggested I become an "independent contractor agent" with them.  What may you ask is that?  Well, I'd be technically working for them by splitting commission with them and have access to the travel agent websites/deals that they have, but I would have to find my own business from friends/family/referrals, and work out of my own home.  I would need to create my own business name, and since I'd be 1099'ed at the end of the year, I'd also need to do my own bookwork and pay my own taxes. 

Now I am trying to decide if it is worth it.  Having to use the agencies websites/vendors might be limiting since I usually piece together my vacations from various recommendations on sites like TripAdvisor, using different hotels, B&B's, apartments, etc. so they might not always be listed on the recommended travel agency sites (so then no commission).  But then again I haven't tried using their sites yet, so it might be beneficial in some cases.  I would just hate having to mark up the price to include commission for friends and family, and then have to turn around and pay the agency a big chunk of that. 

So now I am torn!  I'd love the opportunity to gain the experience and knowledge through an agency and it would be nice to have extra cash.  I am also considering just being a "travel consultant" (my own term) for friends/family by just charging a flat fee (which would vary depending on how much work I'd have to put into it).  I would plan the vacation for them, do research and pick like a top 5 list of hotels/cruises/whatnot to fit their budget, location, amenities wanted, etc. for them to review and pick for themselves and then they could make the reservations themselves on their own CC (since they would probably need to provide the CC upon check-in anyways).  I could make up a day by day itinerary with suggested tours and places to visit, as well as a list of helpful websites or books, and then they could either take my advice, or change it however they would like to fit their needs and interests. 

And since I'm tossing the decision back and forth, I'd love any advice from those of you out there that read this.  Which would you choose?  Be an agent through an agency and split the commission (40% me/60% them), or just work for myself with my own flat rate fee schedule (giving suggestions/advice, but letting them pick the final decision themselves to book). 

My background in travel:
Growing up, my family went on various vacations around the US.  We went snowmobiling in Yellowstone over Christmas break 3 different years, went to Disney World, Las Vegas (Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon at the same time too), road trips, camping, up to Canada, Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, etc.  I felt blessed to be able to see the country and learn new things.  I made it to FL with both dance and band, and Washington DC with 4-H.  As a senior in HS we went on a Caribbean cruise as a family which was a great time! 

During college I went on another Caribbean cruise with a cousin of mine during spring break my second year.  Then as a senior I student taught over in England.  While there I had a few weekends off where I explored some of the castles and towns, as well as taking a long weekend up to Scotland to visit some friends teaching up there.  I had one week off during student teaching so I flew over to Rome and had a great time exploring on my own.  At the end of my time in England, my mom and aunts flew over to meet me and we explored London, Bath, and went over to Paris as well.  Europe is so unique and different from the US, so I really enjoyed seeing as much as I could.

Then as an adult out on my own, I have continued to travel.  I've taken a few road trips, visited friends/family in FL and MD.  My husband Adam and I have taken several big trips over the past 4 years.  We spent 3 weeks in New Zealand (that was my first really big planning experience....21 different days for activities/hotels/car rentals/ferry/flights, etc.).  Then we spent a week in San Diego.  For our honeymoon we went to Tahiti/Moorea/Bora Bora and had a superb time for 2 weeks.  This past January I planned a big family cruise with my parents, brother/fiance, and several aunts/uncles/cousin.  There were 11 of us and we went on a western Caribbean cruise.  Next month I have a trip to Italy booked.  We will be going to Rome, Assisi, and Florence for 10 days (Adam, myself, and my parents).  It will be great to be back over there and I'll be able to act as a guide to my family, as well as explore a few new cities I wasn't able to make it to before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment